Monday, August 20, 2012

Family tiles

I found yet another inspiration on Pinterest.The Pinterest post I found used words such as family, faith,love... I found the idea of using names from my Grandma. She has a cross stitch framed that has the names of everyone in the family like Scrabble.

This project I call family tiles
Price range- $15-$20

Material list
 Canvas (mine is 18x24 inches, choose yours depending on the space for names you'll need) I found mine at Joann's. I got mine on sale 50% so it was $7
Fabric (enough to cover your canvas. I find  good options for small projects like this in the remnants section at Joann's. I found mine for about $3
1 1/4 inch wood letters ( they come in a 4 pack, get as many packs as you need for family names. I bought 4 packs for $1.50 each.
Stapler for the fabric
Scissors to trim fabric
Fabritac glue from Joann's $4
Sharpie paint marker $4



First figure out how you would like to arrange your names to cross like Scrabble. Once you write out a few options and find the layout you want figure out what letters you need. Remember that  you won't need the same number of letters in each name. Since some of the letters intersect they will share some letters.
I did a Google search of scrabble tiles to see what point number is listed on each letter tile. I used a Sharpie paint marker because it won't bleed  on wood like a regular Sharpie would so you have cleaner lines. 

I thought of painting the letters first but the marker is much quicker so ignore the paint brush in the picture.

Next I stapled the fabric to the back of the canvas. I chose a beige linen fabric to make sure it will go with all color schemes that I may choose for my home over the years.

The back view, the excess fabric was trimmed after stapling. 

The front view




Lastly I centered my letters and arranged them in the way I wanted them and glued them on with Fabritac. I glued the N in the middle first so I could make sure they were glued on straight.


I got a bigger canvas because it is just my husband and I now but we plan on having kids in the future so I wanted to make sure there was room to add some names. So I don't loose the remaining wood squares and have to buy more later, I stapled the packages to the back of the canvas so I can easily add names as our family grows over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment