Thursday, August 30, 2012

Staying Golden on a Stick

It's been a busy and exciting week but I'm glad it's almost the weekend. The week started with the Minnesota State Fair. If you are from MN or familiar with our fair, it's a HUGE deal; next to Texas it's one of the largest state fairs in the country. You can find pretty much any food on a stick and/or fried.  I got my fill with Alligator on a stick, roasted corn on the cob, Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookies(the best cookies in the world) and milk, jalapeno cheese on a stick, and I stole a few of my husband's cheese curds. I was a little leary of trying my husband's must have of new fair food, lamb fries...but it is not fries. Lamb fries are fried lamb testicles. To be honest it didn't have much of a flavor; not bad but not amazing. After the fair we went out to eat with friends who couldn't make it to the fair for my husband's birthday. By Sunday night I was about to burst with amazing food.

Wednesday was my Husband's golden birthday so we went out to eat the came home to do cake and presents with family. He wanted an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen so I ordered him one, had them write "Happy Golden Birthday Brien" but made a few tweaks myself.



I found gold sprinkles and edible gold spray coloring from Joann's. The gold circle on the left side is a golden snitch from Harry Potter. I covered a donut hole with frosting and sprayed it gold. I cut out wings from gold colored paper and stick them in the sides then stick it in the cake with a toothpick. I wanted to make the cake as golden as possible.

Here's my handsome husband Brien!




 The Two Lovebirds

I had one last surprise that I put together with his Mom and Brother, the Golden Basket. I couldn't find any other basket we owned that was empty so I had to put everything in the laundry basket.

I took this picture the next morning so there are a few things missing. The Michelob Golden Light is in the fridge and the honey Teddy Grahams (gold packaging) and the goldfish crackers were taken to work by the birthday boy.

We ended up throwing Brien a surprise birthday party that following weekend so I got to decorate another cake. I bought this cake so I can't take credit for the frosting design. But I did use edible spray paint and gold colored sprinkles to decorate.



His next year's birthday, for his 30th...LAS VEGAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment