Sunday, September 2, 2012

Blast from the Past

While I was going through ideas and materials for LOTS of DIY projects for our new apartment, I found some oldies but goodies. I don't have the exact costs for the items but they are all fairly inexpensive.

The first project was a pair of old, tarnished, bronzed cranes. I found these hiding on a cluttered shelf at the thrift store.I loved the birds but they were kind of an eye sore. A can of chrome spray paint did the job; now look at them shine!





The next project helped me save a wedding decoration  that probably would have ended up in a storage box. Our wedding cake topper was a plastic, sliver capital A with some rhinestones on the side. Once I snapped off the steaks at the bottom that stuck it in the cake, I first hung it by a nail on our apartment door. Once we moved I thought, "there must be more that I can do with it..."  I took a 6x6 inch canvas and painted it red, our wedding color. Once it dried I glued our wedding topper on the canvas and now an item from the happiest day of our lives can be added to our home and not in a box.

11/06/2010 <3


This next project was one that my husband and I did together. We call it the splatter paintings.
Once I painted to canvases white to have a clean, smooth surface, we used the rest of the chrome spray paint. Before using the chrome paint, we started simple by adding a few pieces of masking tape across the canvas. Once the tape was applied we took the canvases outside and spray painted them chrome.  Next was the fun part. We took about 4 or 5 colors and one at a time we splattered it on the canvas with a paint knife. Once it was dried we peeled off the paint and Ta Da! The finished splatter paintings!



Brien's painting



My painting

No comments:

Post a Comment